BATON ROUGE, La. — Some football coaches have a hard time admitting defeat, deflecting all the blame back on themselves to soften the pain of a loss.
Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze isn’t one of those coaches.
After his team’s 38-21 loss to LSU on Saturday night at Tiger Stadium, Freeze was candid about what he saw. Though he said he’ll have to go back and review the film to see exactly what went wrong, Freeze was direct in saying LSU has a good football team, and that good football team showed up.
Here are some of the comments from Freeze’s postgame press conference, as well as comments from a couple Ole Miss players about the LSU defense and superstar running back Leonard Fournette.
- “That’s an excellent football team,” Freeze said. “They’re going to win a lot of games with upperclassmen and they’re really good at the line of scrimmage on both sides.”
- “I think that’s who (Fournette) is,” Freeze said. “If he gets creases like he gets, he’s one of the best in the nation. He was fresh and very healthy. I admire Leonard. I’ve been around him a few times at media days and he’s really a class guy and an excellent back.”
- “None,” Freeze said when asked about what adjustments he thinks the LSU defense made. “They kept playing. They were going back-and-forth between their odd and even (fronts). They are who they are, but they’re very good at it. They’re athletic. Their backers played really well.”
- “They played two-high, one-high,” Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly said of the LSU defense. “A little bit of this and a little bit of that.”
- “When the hole came, he hit it,” defensive end Marquis Haynes said. “He did what he was supposed to do. He did his assignment. That’s a first-round pick, Leonard Fournette. My hat’s off to him. It was a good game.”