5 things every Mississippi State fan needs to know today
Egg Bowl week is well under way now. There has been plenty of talk about how important Saturday’s game is, and we’ve got everything you need to start preparing below.
Here are five things to know:
- On Monday, coach Dan Mullen called Saturday’s game against the Razorbacks — where Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott and Arkansas’ Brandon Allen combined for 14 touchdowns and more than 900 yards — the best quarterback battle he’s ever seen. Should the game go down as the best shootout in SEC history?
- After the game, Mississippi State found itself back in the top five of this week’s SEC Country Power Poll.
- Mullen didn’t know much about the Egg Bowl when he took over as Mississippi State’s coach in 2008. But now he’s making sure his players know exactly how important the rivalry game is.
- It wasn’t the only thing Mullen was in the news for Monday, though. Virginia Tech’s head coach of 29 years, Frank Beamer, is retiring at the end of the season. Rumors have it that Mullen is a serious candidate to replace him.
- With five days left until he plays his final home game at Davis Wade Stadium, Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott wrote an open letter to fans vocalizing how much his five years in Starkville have meant to him.
Other Mississippi State news from around the Internet
- Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly was very blunt Monday when talking about his team’s upcoming rivalry game with Mississippi State. “We’re good,” Kelly said. “And they’re good.” (BND.com, David Brandt)
- With Ole Miss sitting at No. 19 in the latest AP Top 25 poll and Mississippi State at No. 23, Saturday will be just the sixth Egg Bowl ever with both teams ranked. (OxfordEagle.com, Davis Potter)
- Mullen isn’t the only one who is prepared for the magnitude of Saturday’s game. “Everyone knows how important the Egg Bowl is,” said Ole Miss senior defender Mike Hilton. (FoxSports.com)
The best stories around the SEC
- Ole Miss LB Denzel Nkemdiche remains under medical care.
- Les Miles addresses job rumors, says he won’t retire.
- Report: LSU’s Les Miles could be fired by end of day.
- 2016 NFL Mock Draft: D-Line controls the top picks; bodes well for the SEC.
- Alabama DB Cyrus Jones on Auburn’s receivers: “They’re nothing special.”