There was plenty of build-up to Mississippi State’s matchup with Alabama on Saturday, but when all was said and done, the Bulldogs were swept out to sea by the Crimson Tide.
In a game that started off neck-and-neck, Alabama pulled away and cruised to a 31-6 win in Starkville, Miss. Check out the following stories to catch up on the day’s action.
Here are six things to know:
- Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen was fairly blunt in his postgame press conference. “Pretty simple how the game works,” he said. “Follow a plan to win. They did. We didn’t.”
- Alabama opened up the floodgates against Mississippi State with a 69-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter. But did the referees miss an apparent block in the back on the play?
- To add injury to the insult of a blowout win at home, Mississippi State star wide receiver De’Runnya Wilson left in the fourth quarter with an undisclosed injury.
- There were some highlights for Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium on Saturday, though it was an ex-player. Tim Bailey, who played for the Bulldogs from 2006 to 2008, returned from active military duty to surprise his family at the game.
- In a tribute to the Mississippi State cowbell, Bulldogs quarterback Dak Prescott did his best Christopher Walken impression in an SEC Nation spoof of the famous SNL skit.
- The Bulldogs honored Keith Joseph, Jr. on Saturday in a multitude of ways. Freshman Jamal Peters wore Joseph’s jersey, the entire team sported helmet decals and an “MJ” emblem was painted on the field. Before the game, SEC Nation offered its own tribute with this touching video.
Other Mississippi State news from around the Internet
- Alabama wide receiver Calvin Ridley breaks MSU defender’s ankles on 60-yard TD in the Crimson Tide’s 31-6 win. (SEC Country)
- Did Alabama’s blowout win at Mississippi State prove that the Crimson Tide can’t be beaten the rest of the year? (SI.com, Pete Thamel)
- Rewinding Alabama’s win over Mississippi State (AL.com, Matt Zentiz)
The best stories around the SEC
- LSU is upset by Arkansas 31-14.
- Missouri players surround coach Gary Pinkel during emotional postgame interview.
- Alabama linebacker on sack total: “We had nine today? Aw, s***.”
- LSU pays tribute to terrorist attack victims with French flag.
- Did Alabama OL Cam Robinson take a jab at Leonard Fournette with an Instagram post?