6 things every Mississippi State fan needs to know today
Mississippi State’s win at Arkansas on Saturday night was as hectic as they come. The Bulldogs were up 31-21 at halftime, but three straight turnovers were followed by three straight Razorbacks’ touchdowns. Somehow, the Bulldogs rallied and grabbed the lead. Had it not been for a blocked field goal with 46 seconds left, they would have lost it.
Here’s everything you need to get caught up from last night’s mayhem.
Here are six things to know:
- Late in the second quarter, quarterback Dak Prescott threw a pass to junior wide receiver Fred Ross, but Prescott didn’t lead his receiver enough. The pass was behind Ross, but it didn’t matter. The junior made an amazing one-handed catch and managed to find the end zone 35 yards away.
- While that might have been Prescott’s most amazing touchdown of the game, it was not his most remarkable. In the first quarter, the senior quarterback found paydirt from 4 yards out. It was his second touchdown of the game and the 102nd of his career. That put him in fourth place on the SEC career touchdown list, knocking down two SEC legends in the process.
- But none of it would have mattered if Arkansas had converted a 29-yard field goal with 46 seconds left. Instead, the kick was blocked, and Mississippi State held on for a 51-50 win.
- Shockingly, the man who blocked that kick, linebacker Beniquez Brown, wasn’t even assigned to attempt a block. But the junior had an idea, spoke up, then stepped up.
- Coach Dan Mullen was almost speechless after the breathtaking win. Here’s what he had to say.
- Prescott’s performance — like his level of play for the past four years — was certainly impressive. So it’s not shocking that Prescott’s coach is proud of him. But exactly what Mullen said about his senior quarterback was somewhat surprising.
Other Mississippi State news from around the Internet
- It’s hard to make too much sense out of the chaotic game Saturday night, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t learn a few things about the Bulldogs. (AL.com, Creg Stephenson)
- Things got out of hand in the stands after the game as the ESPN broadcast showed a fight breaking out between fans. (SEC Country)
The best stories around the SEC
- South Carolina’s Shawn Elliott blasts coaching rumor on Twitter.
- Report: LSU AD Joe Alleva says decision on Les Miles’ future won’t happen until season’s end.
- Alabama LB after Ohio State loss: “I wanted to play them.”
- Missouri players carry coach Gary Pinkel off the field after final home game.
- UGA escapes with OT win against Georgia Southern in a scary day for the SEC East.