Jamal Couch plays for more than his team.
Couch is a three-star athlete from Central High School (Phenix City, Ala.). Unlike most high school football players, Couch plays the game for more personal reasons.
“Last year my uncle, aunt, and cousin all died in a car crash,” Couch said. “It was sometime around October of 2014.”
Couch admitted that he was left devastated after the incident, but he knew it was something that he had to overcome.
“Yeah I shut down after that. That was the toughest thing I’ve had to overcome in my life,” Couch said. “They were on my dad’s side of the family and we were pretty close. Now I play football for them and in their memory.”
The 6-foot-5, 215-pounder is an exceptional athlete, and does not need any extra motivation to be great. His family is what drives him to be the best that he can be.
Couch is rated as the nation’s No. 18 athlete and the state of Alabama’s No. 8 player in the 2016 class.
Here are five more things you need to know about Couch:
- Mississippi State Coach Dan Mullen has Snoop Dogg sneakers: “The funniest thing a coach ever did was when I was talking to Coach Mullen on my Mississippi State visit,” Couch said. “We were in his office and he got all excited and pulled out this box for me to see. When he opened it up I saw two custom Adidas sneakers that Snoop Dogg had sent him. They were crazy man, they had Snoop’s face all over the shoes and they were just crazy. Coach Mullen was all excited because he thought he lost them so he got to show them off to me.”
- He’s fast: “I think my greatest strength is my speed. I run a 4.62 in the 40-yard dash right now. I’m pretty strong too, I have good strength. My speed is what separates me apart from everyone else though. I enjoy running over people, but I like running right by them even more. I feel like I can outrun people.”
- Interesting hobby: “When I’m not playing football, I like to go shooting,” Couch said. “I go shooting with my dad. He’s got a shooting range so we usually go shooting together about twice a month.” When asked what his favorite gun was, Couch replied, “My favorite is definitely the AR-15”.
- Trio at the top: “Right not the three schools I’m looking at are Mississippi State, Florida, and Georgia. “I have visited Mississippi State four times, and the best visit I had was during the LSU game. I got there a little late so I didn’t do as much as I usually do when I visit, but I had a great time.” Florida is a team Couch is also interested in, and said he talks to Florida assistant Drew Hughes (Director of Player Personnel), and coach Jim McElwain the most. “I only have one official visit set up right now and that is to Mississippi State on January 22. I’m trying to set up an official to either Georgia or Florida after that.”
- Plans after football: “I’ve thought about life after football a lot. I’ve thought about going into business somewhere, doing children day care, getting into sports medicine, or going into some kind of foster care help. I just really like helping people and I know I won’t be playing football forever.”
All rankings are according to the 247Sports Composite