The news has certainly been flowing out of Starkville over the past week.
Whether it’s been good news or bad news, things have not been boring for Mississippi State’s recruiting efforts with under two weeks to go before National Signing Day.
Let’s take a look at where things stand on the recruiting trail as of Friday:
Where Mississippi State’s 2017 recruiting class ranks
With Mississippi State gaining two commitments and losing two commitments over the past week, the Bulldogs dropped four spots to No. 25 in the national recruiting rankings this week. That ranking likely will continue to shift in both directions between now and National Signing Day on Feb. 1 as other teams add guys to their classes. Mississippi State’s class also ranks 10th in the SEC.
Who are Mississippi State’s top commitments?
- 4-star RB Kylin Hill (Columbus, Miss.)
- 4-star QB Keytaon Thompson (New Orleans)
- 4-star WDE Chauncey Rivers (Stone Mountain, Ga.)
- 3-star S Johnathan Abram (Columbia, Miss.)
- 3-star OLB Tyler Dunning (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Who committed to Mississippi State this week?
The Bulldogs’ two pickups this week were 3-star offensive tackle Taekion Reed and 2-star punter Tucker Day. Those pickups are big needs for Mississippi State’s class, which is a big priority for Dan Mullen and his staff.
Who de-committed from Mississippi State this week?
Although the Bulldogs picked up two commitments, Mississippi State also lost two of its higher-ranked pledges over the past week. The first player to de-commit was from 3-star outside linebacker Kaleb Oliver, who backed away from the Bulldogs on Monday. Then, 3-star defensive end Aaron Odom de-committed on Wednesday.
Who are Mississippi State’s top uncommitted prospects?
- 4-star OLB Willie Gay (Starkville, Miss.)
- 3-star OT Toryque Bateman (Gadsden, Ala.)
- 3-star WR Racey McMath (New Orleans, La.)
- 3-star G Josh Cooper (Haughton, La.)
- Quarterback (1): Keytaon Thompson
- Running back (1): Kylin Hill
- Wide receiver (1): Austin Williams
- Offensive line (5): Tommy Champion, Tyre Phillips, Cordavien Suggs, Montravious Richardson, Taekion Reed
- Defensive line (5): Deion Pope, Lee Autry, James Jackson, Montez Sweat, Chauncey Rivers
- Linebacker (1): Tyler Dunning
- Defensive back (5): Tyler Williams, Landon Guidry, Johnathan Abram, Brian Cole, Jaquarius Landrews
- Punter (1): Tucker Day
Geography of Mississippi State’s recruiting class
North Carolina: 1
All rankings come from the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.