Happy Thursday, Ole Miss fans!
We’re just two days away from an Ole Miss-Auburn SEC West showdown on Saturday. The Rebels haven’t won a game in Jordan-Hare Stadium since Eli Manning was under center. The good news? Quarterback Chad Kelly wears No. 10 just like Manning, so maybe that’ll be some good mojo for Ole Miss.
Here are two things to know:
- Ole Miss’ defense was the key to last week’s 23-3 win against Texas A&M, and the Landshark defense will need another good showing this weekend against Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s offense. The Rebels should have the services of star defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche (concussion) and could have defensive back Tony Conner back, as well. Coach Hugh Freeze commented on both Wednesday.
- One player we know will be on the field is wide receiver Laquon Treadwell. As we talked about earlier this week, this game means a little more to Treadwell, so he could be a handful for the Tigers’ secondary. We know Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin is glad he doesn’t have to face Treadwell anymore.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- Chase Parham of RebelGrove.com wrote a fantastic piece on Ole Miss linebacker C.J. Johnson. The veteran leader of the Rebels defense has been through a lot in his life, including a dramatic few years surrounding Ole Miss football.
- Chuck Rounsaville of the Ole Miss Spirit wrote a nice feature on Ole Miss offensive lineman Fahn Cooper. The senior was forced to play left tackle for the first seven games of the season because of Laremy Tunsil’s seven-game NCAA suspension. However, Cooper more than hung tough and just played his best game of the season at his natural position of right tackle.
- Ole Miss received a basketball commitment this week from power forward Nate Morris. John Davis of the Oxford Citizen took a look to learn just what type of player coach Andy Kennedy is getting.