There was plenty of news to go around Thursday, as Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze held his press conference to begin spring practice. Between quarterback Chad Kelly’s new role as the leader of the team to the first look at freshman quarterback Shea Patterson, there will be plenty to watch for over the next few weeks.
Here are three things to know:
- For the second straight day, Ole Miss added to its linebacker depth, as Freeze announced a junior college player to the Class of 2016. That’s a much-needed boost to a position of need for the Rebels.
- Ole Miss defensive back Tony Conner will miss the entire spring as he recovers from offseason knee surgery, but the rising senior is on schedule for a full recovery before fall camp comes around in August.
- Freeze also got involved in the SEC vs. Jim Harbaugh war Thursday when he gave his thoughts on Michigan’s spring practice trip to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Check out what Freeze had to say here.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- As Ole Miss enters Year 5 of the Freeze era, it does so with the SEC’s top returning quarterback in Kelly. David Brandt of the Associated Press takes a look at how Kelly continues to “rewrite his story.”
- It’s been two days since Ole Miss guard Stefan Moody dropped 43 points on his Senior Night against Mississippi State, but it’s still remarkable to think about the performance he had. Hugh Kellenberger of the Clarion-Ledger recaps Moody’s big night with a column on his greatness.