Another day of spring football has come and gone, and nothing earth-shattering has come out of Oxford, Miss, so far. Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze certainly hopes that remains the same, but the quietness surrounding the product on the field this spring hasn’t slowed down other rumblings around the football program.
Here are three things to know:
- As everyone knows, recruiting never stops in college football. The Rebels’ coaching staff has undoubtedly held daily recruiting meetings and is working tirelessly to get themselves in position for another elite recruiting class, but on Wednesday, a Mississippi high school coach displayed his displeasure about Freeze not yet offering any of his top players. Freeze responded to those comments on Thursday.
- With less than a month to go before the 2016 NFL Draft, former Ole Miss wide receiver Laquon Treadwell and defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche are hitting the road to visit as many NFL teams as possible.
- Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly will have huge expectations on his shoulders entering 2016. The senior signal caller put up big numbers last season and will be relied on to carry the Rebels offensively. SEC Country broke down why he’s one of the top five SEC players most invaluable to their teams.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- With the drama surrounding the high school coach who called out Freeze’s recruiting practices, former Ole Miss and current Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Senquez Golson took to social media to stand up for his alma mater.
- Ole Miss basketball is looking to improve its nonconference schedule next season, as the Rebels will agree to a home-and-home series with Virginia Tech, according to Ben Garrett of the Ole Miss Spirit. The series will continue over the next two seasons.
- The No. 13 Ole Miss baseball team will look to get back in the win column, as the Rebels travel to face No. 11 Mississippi State in a three-game series beginning Friday. Ole Miss has won four straight games and three straight series against the Bulldogs.
The best stories around the SEC
- 4-star SEC signee: Ohio State ‘treated me like crap,’ Urban Meyer ‘called me a bad player’
- Georgia high school coach says satellite camp with Urban Meyer will ‘create a buzz’
- Former LSU DB Jalen Mills was asked how he would kill someone in NFL draft interview
- Mississippi State WR to miss rest of spring practice with injury