Happy Tuesday, Ole Miss fans.
Thanksgiving is days away and another edition of the Egg Bowl isn’t far behind. Keep an eye on the weather this week. The early forecast calls for rain Saturday night in Starkville, Miss., and that’s not good news for either offense because both rely heavily on the passing game. It should be interesting to see what unfolds.
Here are four things to know:
- Ole Miss still has an outside shot of winning the SEC West this Saturday. The Rebels need a win over Mississippi State and an Auburn win against Alabama. If that happens, Ole Miss is Atlanta-bound for the first time ever. Coach Hugh Freeze even went as far as to jokingly say “War Eagle” following Monday’s press conference.
- Ole Miss could be without a few starters on the defensive side of the ball Saturday. One of those guys is linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche, who remains under medical supervision after being taken to the hospital last Monday.
- Everyone knows how talented wide receiver Laquon Treadwell has been for the Rebels offense this season, and Freeze noted Monday that Treadwell is the best receiver he’s ever coached.
- Even if Alabama does win Saturday, there’s plenty to play for if you’re Ole Miss. With Florida having a good chance to lose two straight games to Florida State and Alabama in the SEC Championship game, it’s possible a win could catapult the Rebels ahead of the Gators and put Ole Miss in line for a “New Year’s Six” bowl game.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- Ole Miss has seen itself go up and down in rankings and power polls this season. This week, the Rebels are back up to No. 3 in the SEC Country Power Rankings.
- During Ole Miss’ win against LSU this past Saturday, an altercation between a fan and police officer went public when the fan’s wife posted a video of the scene on Facebook. The incident is now under investigation.
- Rebels quarterback Chad Kelly will get his first taste of the Egg Bowl on Saturday. He’s a Buffalo, N.Y., native, but there’s no doubt he’s been told what the rivalry is all about. Here’s a video of his gathering with the media, courtesy of RebelGrove.com.