Happy Monday, Ole Miss fans.
It’s now official. Ole Miss is Sugar Bowl bound, and all of you will begin flocking to New Orleans in just a matter of weeks. No matter what others might say, the Sugar Bowl is a destination bowl, and it certainly bodes well for the direction of the Rebels football program with back-to-back “New Year’s Six” bowl games.
Here are four things to know:
- The Rebels are heading to the Sugar Bowl thanks to being the second-highest ranked SEC team in the final College Football Playoff rankings. Ole Miss came in at No. 12 in those rankings and are hoping to propel into the top 10 with a win over Oklahoma State.
- As excited as Ole Miss fans were to hear that their beloved Rebels would play in the Sugar Bowl, no one may have been as excited as coach Hugh Freeze. In his fourth year as coach, Freeze has Ole Miss going to the Sugar Bowl for the first time since 1970, and he certainly knows how big of a deal it truly is.
- The matchup is an intriguing one, as the Rebels will play a team from the Big 12 in a bowl game for the second straight year. Ole Miss is hoping for a better defensive performance, but it will need to do so without two key players, who will miss the game because of injuries.
- In the AP poll this week, Ole Miss stayed put at No. 16. You’d have to imagine a Sugar Bowl win in primetime would do wonders for the Rebels’ final ranking of the season.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- The coaching carousel certainly played a huge role in this year’s recruiting season, and the news of Will Muschamp being hired by South Carolina ruffled the feathers of the mother of five-star defensive tackle Rashan Gary, the nation’s top overall prospect. That could bode well for Ole Miss.
- Freeze and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy spoke on the Sugar Bowl teleconference on Sunday. Hear what the two coaches had to say, as their programs begin preparation for the marquee New Year’s Day matchup.