Happy Tuesday, Rebels fans.
With a little over three weeks until No. 12 Ole Miss and No. 16 Oklahoma State clash in the Sugar Bowl, much of the attention turns towards coaching rumors and the wild world of recruiting. The Rebels are in the thick of it for several big prospects, and the rumors should be swirling for the next two months.
Here are four things to know:
- One player Ole Miss will likely need to replace is wide receiver Laquon Treadwell. The junior is expected to declare for the 2016 NFL Draft following the bowl game, and when you look at where he falls in some of the mock drafts, you can’t blame him.
- Before Treadwell takes off for the NFL, he’ll hope to make one more big splash for the Rebels’ offense in the Sugar Bowl. Ole Miss has opened as a touchdown favorite over Oklahoma State.
- Backup quarterback DeVante Kincade announced his intentions to transfer on Instagram Monday night. You’d have to think the return of Chad Kelly and expected signing of five-star Shea Patterson played a role in that decision.
- Besides recruiting, many eyes will be on the continued coach carousel. The wheel has begun to turn towards the assistant coaches, and that will be something to follow in the coming weeks. As for Ole Miss, athletic director Ross Bjork is ready to pay up to keep coach Hugh Freeze’s staff together.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- Speaking of recruiting, many are excited about the class Freeze is putting together, and fans are especially excited about five-star quarterback commit Shea Patterson. Most schools have given up hope of flipping the long-time Ole Miss commit, but Alabama is giving it one more shot, as coach Nick Saban and offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin will get an in-home visit with the signal caller Wednesday.
- Ole Miss basketball is coming off a nice neutral site win against Massachusetts, and coach Andy Kennedy thinks he has the rotation figured out, according to Parrish Alford of the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.