Although Ole Miss is in the last stretch of spring practice, most of the news surrounding the Rebels centered around the 2016 NFL draft. There’s no doubt Ole Miss will have a strong presence in the first round, and that will go a long way into further solidifying coach Hugh Freeze’s program as a stalwart in the SEC West.
Here are four things to know:
- Defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche is likely the Ole Miss star with the most potential to change his draft stock between now and draft time. NFL teams will have to make a tough decision on Nkemdiche with off-field issues hanging over his head, but he’ll have plenty of opportunities to ease those concerns.
- There are several potential suitors for wide receiver Laquon Treadwell. On Thursday, he’ll have his first private meeting since performing at Ole Miss’ pro day Monday.
- Nkemdiche and Treadwell were among the talents in Hugh Freeze’s first highlight recruiting class at Ole Miss. Now, recruiting success has become the norm in Oxford, Miss., although it’s still difficult to go head-to-head with Alabama and coach Nick Saban.
- This fall, all eyes will be on five-star offensive tackle signee Greg Little to see what impact he can make, but the Rebels also signed several other offensive linemen, including Georgia native Jack DeFoor, who recently answered a few questions about his recruitment.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- With Ole Miss’ success on the recruiting trail, the Rebels are narrowing their search of potential prospects to the best of the best. However, that didn’t sit well with a high school coach in Mississippi, who took to Twitter to cast his disdain of Ole Miss for not offering any of his players, writes Will Sammon of The Clarion-Ledger.
- Ole Miss baseball coach Mike Bianco has three sons, who all look to have the potential to play college baseball at the highest level. However, the one school that his sons will not play at is Ole Miss, according to Chase Parham of RebelGrove.com.
The best stories around the SEC
- Mississippi State investigating 5-star signee’s alleged assault
- Oakland Raiders GM has strong ties to Tennessee, says Butch Jones ‘has got it back on track’
- Alabama defender likened to ‘young Mike Tyson,’ Tide RB Bo Scarbrough
- Records show Butch Jones called Drae Bowles, police chief on day of alleged 2014 rape