5 things every Ole Miss fan needs to know today
Good morning, Ole Miss fans!
It’s a new week, and it’s time to put the loss to Memphis behind you. After all, the Rebels have a tough Texas A&M team coming into Oxford in six days, and despite all the struggles, Ole Miss still controls its own destiny in the SEC West.
Here are five things to know:
- There isn’t much to say about the Rebels’ loss Saturday. Memphis is a good team, but Ole Miss had a difficult time stopping the Tigers on third downs and on the flip side stopping Memphis’ pass rush. Coach Hugh Freeze and his staff are frantically trying to find the missing piece to the puzzle, and it’s easy to see Freeze is just as frustrated as anyone.
- One storyline that we’ll certainly be keeping an eye on is the health status of star defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche. The 6-foot-4, 296-pounder went down with a concussion while playing offense. The decision to play Nkemdiche on offense was highly criticized, and after the game Freeze answered those questions.
- There weren’t a lot of positives for Ole Miss to take away from its lackluster performance. But quarterback Chad Kelly and wide receiver Laquon Treadwell both set school records.
- Speaking of Treadwell, the talented wideout showed off his arm, throwing a 66-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Cody Core to give Ole Miss an early lead. Freeze has allowed Treadwell to throw a few passes during his career, but this is the first one that has paid off.
- Last week, we knew Ole Miss’ tilt against Texas A&M would either be a 3:30 p.m. ET CBS kickoff or a 7 p.m. ET ESPN kickoff. With the Rebels and Aggies both going down on Saturday, CBS passed on that matchup, so get ready for a night game in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- Here’s the Associated Press’ story from Saturday’s loss. Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch said he “got hit harder in that (postgame) pile than I did the whole game.”
- Bleacher Report’s Greg Wallace wrote a column pointing out Ole Miss’ struggles. Wallace said the Rebels aren’t ready to be a serious college football contender.
- Here’s a notebook from the game via Neal McCready of RebelGrove.com.
The best stories around the SEC
- Will Grier’s attorney says Florida fans can “rest easy” when it comes to his appeal
- Leonard Fournette wants to star alongside Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible movie
- UGA student section has a special message for Nick Chubb
- Alabama secondary has record-setting day vs. Texas A&M