Spring practice certainly has had a different look at Ole Miss in recent weeks. For one, there will be no spring game, scrimmage or any other kind of combination of drills for the Rebels’ faithful to get an early glimpse of what 2016 might hold. On another front, all of Ole Miss’ practices have been relegated to the friendly confines of the Manning Center thanks to construction to all outdoor practice fields and Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Here are five things to know:
- Speaking of spring practice, Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly will miss the rest of spring drills after having surgery. The battle for the backup spot should be fun to watch the remainder of spring.
- On the recruiting trail, the Rebels had a bit of a setback, as Ole Miss lost out on its top quarterback target for the Class of 2017. Luckily for coach Hugh Freeze, it’s only April, and there’s plenty of time until national signing day rolls around.
- Ole Miss signee Chandler Tuitt never wavered from his commitment down the stretch, but the offensive guard did reveal what SEC West coach was not the nicest person he met with during the recruiting process.
- Former Ole Miss standout Greg Hardy once again found himself in the headlines Monday after denying that he ever laid his hands on his ex-girlfriend.
- In an effort to restock his roster, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy often goes the graduate transfer route to bring in immediate contributors. The Rebels are among the finalists for a heavily-coveted prospect with NBA bloodlines.
Other Ole Miss news from around the Internet
- Determining whether or not college athletes should be paid has been a hot topic for a few years now, and Daniel Paulling of The Clarion-Ledger talked to several Ole Miss student athletes to get their take on the debate.
- After dropping two out of three to rival Mississippi State last weekend, the Ole Miss baseball team dropped to No. 18 in D1Baseball.com’s Top 25. The Rebels face in-state foe Southern Mississippi in Pearl, Miss., Tuesday before hosting Arkansas in a three-game set beginning Friday.
The best stories around the SEC
- SEC coaches could be allowed to host satellite camps in near future
- Report: Alabama star Calvin Ridley cleared in ID investigation
- South Carolina coach Will Muschamp on facing UGA, Kirby Smart: ‘I’m looking forward to whippin’ his ass’
- Kentucky signee Jordan Griffin talks recruiting, finds humor in South Carolina assistant’s brutal honesty