What Matt Luke said after Ole Miss falls to California on the road
Coach Matt Luke and the Ole Miss Rebels picked up a disappointing loss on Saturday night, falling 27-16 to the California Bears on the road.
In a matchup many saw as a trap game for Ole Miss considering the late start time (10:30 p.m. ET), the Rebels — and quarterback Shea Patterson, in particular — did a poor job taking care of the football, committing three turnovers, including a pick-six that basically ended the game.
Here is what Luke had to say about the tough loss afterward:
What Matt Luke said after losing to California
Note: All quotes were pulled from the official Ole Miss release following the game
- On the 16 penalties for 113 yards: “The penalties and just the lack of rhythm really hurt us on offense.”
- On overall expectations: “I think the offense as a whole, we expect to perform better. The penalties and the drops and all of that causes you to not have a rhythm.”
- On ankle injury to center Sean Rawlings: “Sean is very important. Injuries are part of football. The next guy has to step up and be ready to go.”
- On Cal defensive performance: “Early on in the second half, they were bailing and the linebackers were sitting on stuff.”
- On preparing for Alabama: “We have two weeks to prepare for the best team in the country, so we are just looking forward to that.” The Rebels get a week off next week, but then have to contend with the biggest date remaining on their schedule: a trip to Tuscaloosa to take on Nick Saban and Alabama on Sept. 30.