In a shocking turn of events, Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze resigned on Thursday night, a week after the embattled coach brushed off concerns at SEC Media Days.
Some recruits have told SEC Country reporters that they need time to process this stunning development.
“I’m just shocked that this happened and I’m still taking it in that this is happening,” three-star defensive tackle Israel Antwine wrote in a direct message to SEC Country on Twitter.
Antwine committed to Ole Miss on May 24 over offers from Missouri, TCU and others. The three-star defensive lineman from Oklahoma City is on the radar of schools like Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.
The first decommitment for the 2018 class happened about an hour after Freeze’s resignation.
— Sam Spiegelman (@samspiegs) July 21, 2017
Bobby Wolfe is a three-star defensive back. He committed to Ole Miss at the end of May.
Currently, the Rebels’ highest-rated commitment is Portsmouth (Ohio) offensive guard Blaine Scott, the 367th-ranked player nationally according to 247Sports. The sanctions hanging over the head of the Rebels — along with Freeze’s previous job security questions — have handcuffed Ole Miss on the recruiting trail. After signing the nation’s fifth-ranked class in 2016, Ole Miss fell to 30th in 2017, coinciding with the NCAA investigation.
This story will be updated with more reactions from recruits.
Hugh Freeze resignation coverage from SEC Country
- Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze resigns
- Ole Miss names Matt Luke interim after Hugh Freeze resigns
- Report: Ole Miss found ‘at least one’ call from Hugh Freeze to female escort service
- What Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork and Chancellor Jeff Vitter said after Hugh Freeze’s resignation
- Internet goes nuts over shocking details of Hugh Freeze’s resignation at Ole Miss
- Ole Miss recruits react to Hugh Freeze resignation
- 6 coaches who make sense to replace Hugh Freeze as the next Ole Miss coach
- Matt Luke: 5 things to know about the new Ole Miss football coach
- Hugh Freeze resigns: Ole Miss-NCAA war was always going to end this way