The stinging news for Ole Miss fans is also disappointing for one of their former head coaches. When Hugh Freeze resigned Thursday night for having communication with an escort service using his Ole Miss-issued phone, many were left stunned, including Tommy Tuberville.
Tuberville, who coached at Ole Miss from 1995-1998, went on ESPN Radio to discuss the situation.
“Well, I’m floored to be honest with you,” Tuberville said. “I’ve known Hugh Freeze a long time, and I talked to him when he took the job at Ole Miss a few years ago. I hate it for him and his family and his career — everything that goes along with the next 30, 40 years of his life.”
Tuberville expressed the need for Ole Miss to use this situation as an opportunity to completely hit the reset button.
“Personally, I think they just need to go in and just wipe out the entire administration, get everything cleaned out and start over– because obviously people knew what was going on — and just get back to being Ole Miss and clean the slate and get people in there that want to get the job done the right way,” Tuberville said. “You know, it’s just a sad day for them, because people in that state really want to win games and want to be competitive at Ole Miss. And they’ve done a great job to this point. Now, they’ve had a terrible setback. They just need a new beginning.”
Tuberville makes a valid point. After all that’s transpired recently, it’s not unreasonable for Ole Miss to distance itself from those that were involved in the turmoil.
The latest NOA against Ole Miss contains 21 allegations against the football program as Freeze was charged with violating his responsibility legislation, and the university was charged with lack of institutional control.
Freeze posted a 39-25 record while going 3-1 in bowl games during his five seasons at Ole Miss.
Matt Luke was selected as Ole Miss’ interim head coach for the upcoming season.
Hugh Freeze resignation coverage from SEC Country
- Ole Miss names Matt Luke interim after Hugh Freeze resigns
- Report: Ole Miss found ‘at least one’ call from Hugh Freeze to female escort service
- What Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork and Chancellor Jeff Vitter said after Hugh Freeze’s resignation
- Internet goes nuts over shocking details of Hugh Freeze’s resignation at Ole Miss
- Ole Miss recruits react to Hugh Freeze resignation
- 6 coaches who make sense to replace Hugh Freeze as the next Ole Miss coach
- Matt Luke: 5 things to know about the new Ole Miss football coach
- Hugh Freeze resigns: Ole Miss-NCAA war was always going to end this way
- Hugh Freeze’s firing reminiscent of Bobby Petrino’s