It’s a new day in Oxford.
Ole Miss has turned the page after Hugh Freeze abruptly resigned as Ole Miss’ coach last Thursday. The same night, the Rebels named Matt Luke as their interim coach as the program moves into a post-Freeze era.
On Monday, Luke addressed reporters about his situation. Perhaps the biggest highlight was that he plans to hire an offensive line coach soon.
Here’s a rundown of what was addressed:
What interim coach Matt Luke said:
- Luke said “he’s excited” to be the interim coach at Ole Miss.
- Luke: “I’ve been an Ole Miss Rebel all my life. It’s all I can remember.”
- Luke said he feels like he’s the right man to run the program.
- Luke said he plans to name an offensive line coach so he can focus on head-coaching duties.
- Luke said it’s time for Ole Miss to move forward together.
- Luke on Hugh Freeze: “We had a great five-year run. It’s my job to get the team ready to play.”
- Luke said he found out he would be Ole Miss’ interim coach at about 4 p.m. CT on Thursday.
- Luke said he expects the Rebels to play with passion, energy and toughness under him.
- Luke said Ole Miss players are “tired of the noise, tired of the distractions.”
- Luke said Ole Miss quarterback Shea Patterson is excited to get all the distractions behind him. Luke said Patterson approached him and told him he wanted to win soon.
- Luke said he hopes to have someone in place as an offensive line coach by the end of the week.
- Luke said keeping his emotions in check has been his biggest challenge so far.
- Luke said he was “surprised” when he heard Freeze was stepping down. Luke said his immediate focus went to the players afterward.
— Ole Miss Football (@OleMissFB) July 24, 2017