5 things every Missouri fan needs to know today
The Missouri coaching search is now in full swing, and a surprise candidate has entered the mix. Meanwhile, now former coach Gary Pinkel said a final, heartfelt farewell to the program he helped build over an impressive 15-year tenure. We’ll get you caught up on all that and more that you might have missed on an eventful Monday.
Here are five things to know:
- Missouri is reportedly among the five or so schools that have contacted ex-UGA coach Mark Richt. You can expect plenty of athletic departments to begin vying for Richt, given his strong track record, but he would certainly be a slam-dunk hire for the Tigers.
- Another interesting coach’s name has been connected with Mizzou — an offensive-minded former quarterback like Richt, but younger and less proven.
- A third coaching candidate is reportedly out of the mix at Mizzou. That would be Tom Herman, the hot young Houston coach who has reportedly agreed “in principle” to remain with the school.
- Pinkel reflected upon plenty of memories, some fond and others not so much, during his last radio show appearance with the school. His parting message: “To all the Missouri fans out there, love you.”
- Although the 5-7 Tigers had an outside shot at landing a bowl bid, Missouri announced that it has no attentions of playing in the postseason. Athletic director Mack Rhoades addressed the school’s thinking in a statement.
Other Missouri news from around the Internet
- Tigers defensive coordinator Barry Odom, who has been linked to the Memphis coaching vacancy on multiple occasions, will meet with key members of the school in the next day, according to USA Today’s Dan Wolken.