Missouri bowl projections after 4-3 start
Well, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is every major bowl projection still has Missouri going bowling despite the recent skid. The bad news is the Tigers are walking a thin line between bowl eligibility and an extremely disappointing 2015 campaign.
The consensus seems to be the Independence Bowl, which is typically the final bid of 10 SEC slots. With five games left Mizzou will find itself in some must-win scenarios over the final month of the season with Saturday being the first. Conventional wisdom says the Tigers should maul Vanderbilt (see what I did there?) but should the offense continue to sputter and somehow the Commodores walk away with a win, Mizzou would then fall into “Bowl Purgatory.” The Tigers would need two wins with their final four games coming against Mississippi State, BYU, Tennessee and Arkansas; not a cakewalk by any means.
I’m getting way ahead of myself here, but take a look at what the bowl projections look like for Mizzou through seven weeks.
- CBSSports.com (Jerry Palm): Independence Bowl (Shreveport, La.)– Missouri vs. Virginia Tech
- CollegeSportsMadness.com: Texas Bowl (Houston)– Missouri vs. Texas Tech
- ESPN (Greg Ostendorf): Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Ala.)– (no opponent listed)
- ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Independence Bowl– Missouri vs. Virginia Tech
- ESPN (Brett McMurphy): Independence Bowl– Missouri vs. Louisville
- SBNation.com (Jason Kirk): Independence Bowl– Missouri vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
- SportingNews.com (Bill Bender): Texas Bowl– Missouri vs. Texas Tech