The 2017 NBA Draft lottery takes place on Tuesday, May 16, and it determines who gets the first overall pick in the draft, along with the second and third selections.
The lottery is held every year with the teams with the worst records having the best odds of landing those first three selections. While it helps to have the highest odds, rarely does that guarantee the first pick. The lack of a guaranteed No. 1 overall pick is supposed to discourage teams from losing on purpose, which has been labeled “tanking.”
Last year, the Philadelphia 76ers took LSU forward Ben Simmons with the first pick in the draft. It was only the fourth time since 1990 that the team with the worst record, and thus the best odds, won the lottery. Simmons injured his right foot and did not play in his first professional season.
Whichever team wins the lottery is likely to take Washington Huskies guard Markelle Fultz. He is the consensus top pick, though Josh Jackson of Kansas and Lonzo Ball of UCLA also could go No. 1 overall. SEC candidates to go in the first round include the Kentucky trio of Malik Monk, De’Aaron Fox and Bam Adebayo.
The 2017 NBA Draft is Thursday, June 22. Playoff teams complete the draft order depending on their postseason results.
Below find a schedule, list of lottery teams, lottery odds and pick protections.
When is the 2017 NBA Draft lottery?
The lottery takes place on Tuesday, May 16. ESPN will air the lottery at 8:30 p.m. ET.
What are the 2017 NBA Draft lottery odds?
|Team||No. 1 pick odds||Top-3 pick odds|
|L.A. Lakers||15.6 %||46.9%|
* — Celtics can swap their first-round pick for the Brooklyn Nets’ pick.
What teams are in the 2017 NBA Draft lottery?
The teams in the lottery are those that did not make the playoffs: Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic, Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Dallas Mavericks, New Orleans Pelicans, Charlotte Hornets, Detroit Pistons, Denver Nuggets and Miami Heat.
The Boston Celtics are in the playoffs but hold an option on the Brooklyn Nets’ first-round pick.
Which 2017 NBA Draft lottery picks have been traded?
- The Brooklyn Nets had the worst record in the 2016-17 season but continue to pay for a disastrous trade. In June 2013, the Nets acquired a package of players that included aging stars Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from the Boston Celtics. In return, Boston got a package of players. But the gems in the deal were first-round picks. The Celtics got the Nets’ 2014, ’16 and ’18 picks and the option to swap first-round picks in 2017. Boston rebuilt and had the best record in the Eastern Conference in 2016-17. The Nets essentially swapped their future for fading stars.
- The Los Angeles Lakers can lose their first-round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers if the pick lands outside the top 3. If the 76ers win the lottery, there is a chance they could have the No. 1 and No. 4 overall picks.
- The 76ers potentially can swap picks with the Sacramento Kings if the Kings get a higher pick. Should the Kings fall out of the top 10, unlikely given they have the No. 8 pick and would need two teams seeded lower than them to jump into the top 3, their pick goes to the Chicago Bulls.
- The New Orleans Pelicans lose their pick to the Kings unless they land in the top 3.