GREENVILLE, Ala. — Marlon Davidson showed up for our interview wearing a grey Alabama jacket zipped up to the bottom of his chin. This wouldn’t matter at all, except for the fact that he is committed to Auburn — Alabama’s biggest rival. If there’s one thing you don’t do in this rivalry, it’s wearing the other team’s colors.
Davidson, a 5-star Auburn defensive end commit from Greenville High School, was spotted last week wearing another Alabama jacket, but there’s a reason for it.
“It’s nothing to freak out about,” Davidson told the AJC’s SECCountry.com. “It was just a day that I was coming up here to be dressed up as your favorite teacher. One of my teachers always has on something Alabama — either some Alabama shoes, shirt, shorts, anything. That’s why I did it — to come here and dress like him. We took pictures before school and put them on the teacher’s wall, so to me, it wasn’t a big deal. I’m still committed to Auburn.”
It was a big deal to Auburn’s coaching staff, though, because defensive line coach Rodney Garner reached out to his prized recruit to ask him about his clothing choice. It should be mentioned that Davidson’s brother, Kenneth Carter, is an analyst on coach Gus Malzahn’s support staff.
“He said ‘I understand that. It just hit me as a shock because people were calling me and I was just like OK,” Davidson said with a smile on his face.
In the video above, Davidson answers the following questions:
1) What did Auburn fans tell him on Twitter after seeing him in Alabama gear?
2) What’s his first reaction to seeing hate in his Twitter feed from Auburn fans?
3) Why is Davidson continuing to explore all of his options even though he’s committed to Auburn?
4) What would it take for Davidson to de-commit from Auburn?
5) From a recruiting standpoint, does it matter that his brother is affiliated with Auburn?