With next week’s SEC Media Days set as the unofficial start to “football talking season,” it may be time to start considering predictions by preseason prognosticators.
Athlon Sports is one of the best in the college football preview business, producing a yearly annual in addition to the work done on their website.
On Wednesday, the publication released its projections for the 2016 college football bowl season.
In what cannot be deemed a surprise based on the team’s track record under Nick Saban, Alabama is projected to repeat as the College Football Playoff national champions.
In total, Athlon Sports projected 11 of the league’s 14 teams as participants in bowl season. Only Missouri, South Carolina and Vanderbilt were projected to miss a bowl.
SB Nation attempted this process last month, and came away with LSU in the College Football Playoff and placed 12 SEC teams in a bowl game.
Here’s a look at Athlon’s complete projections for the SEC bowl games, including opponents:
- Texas Bowl: Texas A&M vs. Baylor
- Birmingham Bowl: Kentucky vs. UConn
- Belk Bowl: Arkansas vs. North Carolina
- Music City Bowl: Auburn vs. Wisconsin
- Liberty Bowl: Mississippi State vs. West Virginia
- Citrus Bowl: Ole Miss vs. Michigan State
- TaxSlayer Bowl: Florida vs. Virginia Tech
- Outback Bowl: Georgia vs. Iowa
- Cotton Bowl: LSU vs. Houston
- Sugar Bowl: Tennessee vs. Oklahoma
- Peach Bowl (CFP semifinals): Alabama vs. Clemson
- National championship: Alabama over Florida State