It was a wild, emotional, surprising — you name it — weekend in the SEC this week. There were upsets, there were close losses and there were entertaining quotes. Here are some of the best quotes from around the conference.
- Florida coach Jim McElwain: “Ten wins. Double digits. That means the next one I’ve got to count with toes.”
It wasn’t pretty, but the Gators escaped an upset scare from Florida Atlantic while McElwain became the winningest first-year coach in Florida history. That quote came from his postgame press conference, where he also made a dead fish reference.
- Alabama senior linebacker Reggie Ragland: “I wanted to play them.”
Ohio State fell to Michigan State on Saturday, meaning the Buckeyes could have just lost their invitation to the College Football Playoff. After losing to Ohio State last year, Ragland was eager for a second chance.
- Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen: “I’d say he might be the best player I’ve ever coached. Look at my resume, that’s pretty impressive.”
Mullen paid quarterback Dak Prescott the ultimate compliment after Mississippi State pulled out a one-point win against Arkansas.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema: “We weren’t able to execute the most basic thing.”
Meanwhile, Arkansas was left stunned after a blocked field goal sealed the Razorbacks’ fate in Fayetteville, Ark.
- South Carolina wide receiver Pharoh Cooper: “This is probably the lowest our team has been in the locker room.”
The Gamecocks were upset by The Citadel at home.
- South Carolina interim coach Shawn Elliott: “Quitting??? You’ve got to be kidding me…”
A fake report on Twitter said Elliott had resigned after the loss to The Citadel. Elliott set the record straight.
- LSU coach Les Miles: “It’s not something I enjoy in any way. It’s a tough stretch.”
The Tigers have lost three straight games, which has the LSU fan base angry and confused.
- Missouri coach Gary Pinkel: “I love those guys.”
Pinkel coached the final home game of his storied career at Missouri.