The NCAA’s transfer rule is undergoing a major change beginning this fall.
Starting in October, players no longer will have to request permission from their original schools in order to transfer. That’s part of a new rule change that the NCAA announced on Wednesday morning.
“This creates a safe place for student-athletes to have a conversation with their coaches and makes the whole process more transparent,” said Nicholas Clark, a Coastal Carolina alumnus and representative on the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. “This will clean the process up and give more influence and flexibility to the student-athlete.”
The new model will be focused on a “notification of transfer.” After a player notifies the institution of a desire to transfer, the program has two business days to add the player to a national transfer database. At that point, other coaches can contact the player to begin a recruiting process.
This would presumably have an impact on situations such as the one Alabama coach Nick Saban created this offseason.
Saban took some heat for blocking grad transfer Brandon Kennedy from pursuing a spot at another SEC school. Saban argued that he was merely taking advantage of the current rule.
“If we agree in the SEC at these meetings that we’re going to have free agency in our league and everybody can go wherever they want to go when they graduate, and that’s what’s best for the game, then I think that’s what we should do,” Saban said at SEC meetings earlier this summer. “Then Brandon Kennedy can go wherever he wants to go. But if we don’t do that, why is it on me?”
Non-graduate transfers will still have to sit out a year before they are able to compete, but this will give them some added flexibility.
Per the release, conferences will be able to adopt stricter rules than the one the NCAA is handing down.