“I felt like a madman all week”: This week’s 6 best SEC quotes
There were plenty of laughs across the Southeastern Conference this week, but it was also hit with tragedy when former Alabama running back Altee Tenpenny died in a one-car accident on Tuesday evening.
We’ll begin with that, and then move on to some of the lighter SEC quotes of the week:
- Alabama running back Kenyan Drake: “I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about the memories we shared.”
The context: Drake wrote a touching Instagram memorial in response to Tenpenny’s death.
- LSU coach Les Miles: “I’d like to have Shaquille O’Neal play defensive end for me.”
Reporters asked Miles about similarities between O’Neal — a former LSU basketball star — and running back Leonard Fournette.
- Florida Gators PR: “Over 200 people signed up. Should be an interesting tryout.”
The context: Florida posted a rare mid-season call for walk-on kickers this week. The response was overwhelming.
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin: “I usually like to kell my kids, ‘see that’s me but not really me in the movie.’”
The context: Sumlin was discussing his relationship with Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze, who was the head coach at Briarcrest Christian High School when Michael Lewis wrote The Blind Side. Sumlin claims that the Oklahoma assistant who briefly appears in the movie version was based on him.
- South Carolina interim coach Shawn Elliott: “I felt like a madman all week.”
The context: Elliott took over for Steve Spurrier at Carolina, and the Gamecocks defeated Vanderbilt at home in his first game.
- Alabama coach Nick Saban: “I know she really likes Jake Coker.”
The context: Back in August, Saban told reporters that his wife, Terry, would help him decide the team’s quarterback competition. When reporters asked what she told him, Saban was coy, but then said Terry approves of Coker’s play.