We are headed for an excellent weekend of SEC football, with three different Top 25 matchups on the schedule. The buildup has not disappointed; plenty of coaches and players sounded off, and we have the best SEC quotes of the week right here.
- Alabama coach Nick Saban: “I don’t look at football as a dangerous game.”
The context: Saban was discussing the Leonard Fournette debate — should he sit out 2016? — and said that the LSU running back should stay in school for another year. But football is about as dangerous a game as they come, so we’re not really sure who this statement is trying to dissuade.
- Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt: “I regret recruiting a lot of them.”
The context: Pruitt — the former secondary coach at Alabama — was asked whether he regretted recruiting Tide running back Derrick Henry, who will likely take considerable game-planning to bottle up.
- Florida coach Jim McElwain: “Keep fighting with everything you’ve got, buddy…We will keep fighting with everything we’ve got to win for you.”
The context: McElwain was responding to a young Florida fan‘s tweet that read: “Dear Gators: I’m beating cancer. Please beat Ole Miss.”
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney: “Those same people that don’t believe in us, those are the same people that believed in Auburn, Arizona State and Oregon.”
The context: Swinney’s Tigers are currently ranked No. 12 in the AP Top 25, and he was making direct reference to Auburn’s fall from No. 6 to unranked this season.
- Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott: “(I) didn’t want to leave that egg up there.”
The context: While appearing on the Paul Finebaum Show Tuesday, Prescott explained why he returned for his senior season at MSU. The Bulldogs play the Ole Miss Rebels in the Egg Bowl on Nov. 28.
- LSU coach Les Miles: “If you’re gainfully employed, and you’re sitting in front of a microphone, you have to say something that stirs the pot.”
The context: Miles often goes off on tangents during his press conferences, and this week, he attacked the idea that star Leonard Fournette should consider sitting out 2016 (see Saban quote above). For more on Miles, check out the tweet below:
Best of Les: The best quotes from LSU’s Les Miles in Week 5 http://t.co/LbLN8CQ93C
— SEC Country (@seccountry) October 1, 2015