BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Good morning, DawgNation.
I saw the Statue of Liberty and The Brooklyn Bridge on my way to Poly Prep Country Day School this morning.
Did you see today’s Intel? I crammed a lot in there to help the bosses help get their arms around this trip to see if 5-star OT Isaiah Wilson will commit to Georgia today.
I might be catching an early bird, but that’s not a hall pass to pause the Intel for a day. Will Wilson choose Georgia? Or is it Michigan?
Be sure to follow along live on the DawgNation Facebook page from the scene.
He called me the “first customer” of the day for what makes sense to call “Zay Day.”When I arrived ridiculously early to campus, I had the chance to meet Poly Prep coach Kevin Fountaine.
That’s in reference to Wilson’s @_LayZay_ Twitter handle.
We talked. I listened. It was cold. We chatted in front of a food truck that only served coffee.
I got a Mocha Love or something like that. Iced. I also learned several things of interest regarding Wilson’s decision.
- The decision has been made. Wilson was said to have informed the coaches at each staff last night.
- Wilson’s decision will come this morning in the midst of a holiday assembly at 11:35 or so. The headmaster at Poly Prep will be dressed as Santa Claus. He will deliver packages. There will be one special package. That will be delivered to Wilson. The decision will be revealed by what’s in that box.
- There has been a wild rumor about one of the Poly Prep assistants being in line to take an analyst position on the staff of one of the schools that are wooing Wilson. Georgia’s name has been thrown around on message board in regard to that situation. Fountaine shot that down. “Totally false,” he said.
- Wilson is a very bright student. Fountaine was also pleased by how his recruitment was conducted the old school way. Visits in the summer. No third-party handlers were involved. Just Wilson and his family.
- The decision will be shared first within a holiday assembly before the entire campus. I’ve just learned that media will not be allowed inside that assembly. The headmaster-slash-Santa Claus wants it to be a private affair. Wilson’s decision will still be streamed live on DawgNation’s Facebook page here as there will be a closed-circuit feed of some sort provided to the media covering the event.
Wilson will then be made available to the press for Q&As regarding his decision. That’s when all of the information will come about regarding which school and why not this or that school.
That’s when all of the information will come about regarding why he chose a certain school and did not choose his other suitors.
“He’s a smart kid,” Fountaine said. “Wait until you have access to him today to ask him a question. He’s going to blow you away with how well he’s going to answer that question.”
His coach said the nation’s No. 7 OT came away with an 1170 score on his SAT on his first try. That was without a tutor or without even trying.
Fountaine also said that today’s decision will be final. There are about 45 days left to go until National Signing Day, but he doesn’t expect Wilson to budge off the decision he made yesterday.