The SEC’s most quotable coach stepped down this week. Ex-South Carolina HBC Steve Spurrier will still provide several one-liners in the coming years, but it won’t be the same.
Here’s a collection of this week’s best SEC quotes:
- Former South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier: “It’s time for me to move on.”
The context: With those words, Spurrier stepped down from his post as Gamecocks coach. He may well be done with coaching at the college level.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema: “It just is what it is when you’re 2-4. It’s a world full of hate.”
The context: Bielema’s squad has taken a beating both on and off the field this year. The coach took some heat a couple days ago for what looked like sideline misconduct against Alabama, but brushed it off and offered up this quote.
- LSU coach Les Miles: “I promise you I am very comfortably the bad guy there.”
The context: Miles is more than willing to shoo away the media frenzy surrounding Fournette lately if the star tailback feels uncomfortable.
- Florida linebacker Jarrad Davis: “He’s a nasty runner, you know.”
The context: Davis was also dicussing Fournette, who returned the compliment by saying the Gators have “a lot of great players” on the defensive side of the ball.
- Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari: “I already answered that stuff. You’re done. Next question.”
The context: Calipari got testy when media members began asking about freshman Skal Labissiere, whose eligibility is still under NCAA scrutiny.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston: “I don’t want to throw no shots, but I am cause they Gators.”
The context: Winston watched a Jacksonville Jaguars player flub in punt coverage by blocking his own man, and then compared it to a similar situation that occurred in Gainesville, Fla., last year.
— SEC Country (@seccountry) October 15, 2015