The 2017 NFL Draft approximately four months away, but NFL teams have been scouting the players they want all season long.
Now it’s time to get deeper into the analysis of what teams need and who they’re targeting with certain picks. Hence the beauty of a mock draft to project how things could play out. Pro Football Focus’ Steve Palazzolo put recently put his second version together, and it includes 14 SEC players. Here’s how it broke down among the first 32 picks.
- 1. Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
- 3. Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama
- 4. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
- 6. Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida
- 8. Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
- 13. Tim Williams, DE, Alabama
- 14. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- 16. Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
- 20. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
- 24. Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
- 25. Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- 29. Tre’Davious White, CB, LSU
- 30. Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida
- 31. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
That comes out to half of the top 10 and almost half of the first round made up of SEC players. Four players from Alabama with another three from LSU show how much talent the conference has. Others agree as well. ESPN’s Todd McShay had 16 SEC players in his first mock draft last week.