‘Tis the season for preseason watch lists and all-america teams, and analytics-slanted Pro Football Focus is the latest to join the fray.
On Tuesday, the football grading web site released its preseason PFF All-American team, and SEC players populated just about every position on the list, nine of which were first-teams. Alabama led the way with six of its standouts earning a spot on the roster, followed closely by Florida with four.
Five SEC pass rushers made the list, including Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett and Tennessee’s Derek Barnett as first-teamers. PFF offered this analysis of the duo:
Barnett and Garrett came in together as true freshmen in 2014 and they’ve both dominated ever since. Garrett ranked fourth overall in the nation as a freshman before finishing third in the nation last year, right behind Barnett. Garrett has 22 sacks, 20 QB hits, and 69 hurries on 651 rushes over the two-year period while Barnett has 21 sacks, 19 QB hits, and 69 hurries on 736 rushes in his two years. There are a number of top-notch edge defenders across the country, but Barnett and Garrett stand above the rest.
Interestingly enough, Leonard Fournette was beaten out by Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey for first-team honors at running back.
The full list of SEC players to make the team is below.
- Christian Kirk, Texas A&M (slot receiver)
- Derek Barnett, Tennessee (edge defenders)
- Myles Garrett, Texas A&M (edge defenders)
- Jonathan Allen, Alabama (defensive interior)
- Reuben Foster, Alabama (linebacker)
- Marcus Maye, Florida (safety)
- Daniel Carlson, Auburn (kicker)
- Evan Berry, Tennessee (kick returner)
- Antonio Callaway, Florida (punt returner)
- Leonard Fournette, LSU (running back)
- Calvin Ridley, Alabama (wide receivers)
- Charles Harris, Missouri (edge defenders)
- Carl Lawson, Auburn (edge defenders)
- Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt (linebacker)
- Jalen Tabor, Florida (cornerbacks)
- Marlon Humphrey, Alabama (cornerbacks)
- Eddie Jackson, Alabama (safety)
- Cam Sutton, Tennessee (punt returner)
- Jon Toth, Kentucky (center)
- Deatrich Wise, Arkansas (edge defenders)
- Jarrad Davis, Florida (linebacker)
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama (slot cornerback)
- Jamal Adams, LSU (safety)