Report: Alabama DC Kirby Smart is UGA’s “only choice”
Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is a wanted man, and UGA may want him even more than the rest.
Smart, a UGA alumnus, is the Bulldogs’ “only choice” to replace Mark Richt, a source told ESPN’s Mark Schlabach.
It was not surprising news, as Sunday it was reported that Smart was UGA’s “primary target” by Chip Towers of the AJC and DawgNation.
Smart has been rumored as a candidate for both the UGA and South Carolina coaching vacancies.
Late last week, Alabama’s defensive coordinator was named the front-runner for the Gamecocks job.
Smart played for UGA from 1995-98 and was an assistant on the team in 2005 under Richt.
Smart has been with Alabama since 2007 and has been Nick Saban’s defensive coordinator since 2008. He was named the 2012 AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year in 2012 and was the Broyles Award winner as college football’s top assistant coach in 2009.
This season, the Tide’s defense ranks No. 2 in the nation in total defense. Smart’s defense has ranked No. 12, No. 5, No. 1, No. 1, No. 5, No. 2 and No. 3 in that category over the past seven seasons.
- What went wrong for Mark Richt at Georgia
- What does Mark Richt news mean for Jacob Eason?
- Richt’s firing confirms what many believed: It was time for a change
- How Georgia players heard the Richt news
- UGA targets react to Mark Richt’s firing
- Greg McGarity’s career will be defined by his first major hire
- A small vigil held outside of Butts-Mehre for Richt
- Current UGA players react to end of the Mark Richt era
- Richt’s former players ‘surprised’ by the news
- National media reacts to Mark Richt being ousted at UGA
- Mark Richt couldn’t deliver, and now he’s out
- Jeremy Pruitt with recruit Mecole Hardman’s mother when news broke