With 91 days remaining before National Signing Day 2017, SEC Country is priming fans for the most optimistic day of the never-ending college football calendar.
On Feb. 1, 2017, a fresh batch of recruits will ink their name and their immediate future with programs across the nation. Coaches will say they hit all their needs; that it’s their best recruiting class yet. Before that happens, we’re projecting what SEC fans can expect on the Super Bowl of Signatures.
The general theme for SEC recruiting, as of Nov. 2? The rich continue to get richer.
Twenty-five of the top 118 recruits according to the 247sports composite are currently committed to SEC schools, but that wealth isn’t spread equally.
Alabama — No. 1 in the CFP poll but No. 2 in the 247sports team rankings — has its grip on seven of the 25 highest-rated SEC commitments. Most impressively, that includes three recruits in the top 10 of the composite rankings.
Georgia also has seven commitments among the SEC’s top 25, with Riceboro (Ga.) safety Richard LeCounte III topping its list as the No. 26-ranked player in the nation.
LSU has five commitments in that group; Tennessee has two. Rounding out the group are South Carolina, Auburn, Ole Miss and Texas A&M, who all have one player among the top-25 highest rated SEC commitments at the time.
Top 25 highest-rated SEC commitments
118. RB Toneil Carter (Houston, Texas) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
107. OT Austin Troxell (Madison, Ala.) — 4-star, committed to Auburn
91. QB Kellen Mond (Bradenton, Fla.) — 4-star, committed to Texas A&M
86. OLB Markail Benton (Phenix City, Ala.) — 4-star, committed to Alabama
84. OG Netori Johnson (Ellenwood, Ga.) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
83. RB Ty Chandler (Nashville, Tenn.) — 4-star, committed to Tennessee
81. WR D.D. Bowie (Morton, Miss.) — 4-star, committed to Ole Miss
80. S Grant Delpit (Bradenton, Fla.) — 4-star, committed to LSU
73. WR Jhamon Ausbon (Bradenton, Fla.) — 4-star, committed to LSU
70. OLB VanDarius Cowan (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) — 4-star, committed to Alabama
58. CB Jamyest Williams (Loganville, Ga.) — 4-star, committed to South Carolina
57. OT Andrew Thomas (Atlanta, Ga.) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
56. S Maleik Gray (La Vergne, Tenn.) — 4-star, committed to Tennessee
45. QB Jake Fromm (Warner Robbins, Ga.) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
39. DE Robert Beal (Bradenton, Fla.) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
38. OT Austin Deculus (Cypress, Texas) — 4-star, committed to LSU
37. RB D’Andre Swift (Philadelphia, Pa.) — 4-star, committed to Georgia
35. DT Tyler Shelvin (Lafayette, La.) — 4-star, committed to LSU
33. QB Tua Tagovailoa (Honolulu, Hawaii) — 4-star, committed to Alabama
29. WR Jerry Jeudy (Pompano Beach, Fla.) — 5-star, committed to Alabama
26. S Richard LeCounte III (Riceboro, Ga.) — 5-star, committed to Georgia
24. S JaCoby Stevens (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) — 5-star, committed to LSU
7. OT Alex Leatherwood (Pensacola, Fla.) — 5-star, committed to Alabama
4. OLB Dylan Moses (Bradenton, Fla.) — 5-star, committed to Alabama
1. RB Najee Harris (Antioch, Calif.) — 5-star, committed to Alabama
This list, of course, is subject to change. With 91 days before National Signing Day, each team’s signing class could look markedly different from what is projected today. And, with 35 of the 247composite’s top-100 recruits still uncommitted, the SEC’s stockpile of talent might continue to grow.