According to some of the experts, there are more standouts players so far this season up north than in the SEC.
Sports Illustrated released its Midseason All-America team today, and the Big Ten had 10 honorees, compared to seven of the 26 picks coming from the SEC.
Alabama had two selections on the team, which is tied for second in the nation with Michigan and Wisconsin, trailing Ohio State, which had four.
The SEC selections were:
- Ole Miss senior TE Evan Engram
- Alabama junior OT Cam Robinson
- Texas A&M junior DL Myles Garrett
- Tennessee junior DL Derek Barnett
- Alabama senior LB Reuben Foster
- Vanderbilt junior LB Zach Cunningham
- Florida junior CB Teez Tabor
Quarterback Lamar Jackson of Louisville, the Heisman Trophy front-runner, was the only unanimous selection.
SEC players on the second team were:
- Arkansas senior TE Jeremy Sprinkle
- Arkansas junior C Frank Ragnow
- Alabama senior LB Tim Williams
- Florida senior LB Jarrad Davis
- Texas A&M senior S Justni Evans
- LSU junior S Jamal Adams
- LSU senior CB Tre’Davious White
- Florida junior P Johnny Townsend