“Tell the fans not to yell”: This week’s 6 best SEC quotes
There is never a dull week in the Southeastern Conference. Even when there are no Top 25 matchups — as is the case on Saturday — plenty of coaches and players make things interesting during their pregame availability.
Here’s a collection of this week’s best SEC quotes:
- Alabama coach Nick Saban: “It still haunts me to this day.”
The context: Saban got going on his high school romance history after a reporter asked him about Homecoming. The results weren’t pretty.
- Georgia recruiting target Tre Shaw: “The Alabama game was a fluke.”
The context: A native of Cedar Grove, Ga., Shaw told our own Chris Kirschner that UGA’s loss to Alabama was an accidental twist of fate. Isn’t denial the first stage of grief?
- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier: “Tell the fans not to yell when we are on the field.”
The context: That was Spurrier’s tongue-in-cheek message to LSU coach Les Miles after flooding forced the teams to move their game from Columbia., S.C., to Baton Rouge, La. The Gamecocks will technically be the “home” team in Death Valley.
- Auburn wide receiver Jonathan Wallace: “I love him to death, but it had to be done.”
The context: Auburn dismissed receiver Duke Wallace from the team after he engaged in an altercation at a local club.
- Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari: “We’re going to be ugly.”
The context: Calipari’s misleading prognostications are an annual tradition in Lexington. He also told fans “we stink” during a luncheon on Wednesday. That’s probably not the case, given the team is bringing back several players from last year’s 38-1 squad, as well as adding two of the nation’s best freshmen.
- South Carolina kicker Elliot Fry: “Excited to play in the real Death Valley this weekend!”
The context: As mentioned above, USC is traveling to LSU for a “home” game this Saturday. Fry’s tweet was a dig at rival Clemson, which also calls its home field “Death Valley.”
SC K Elliot Fry takes a shot at Clemson: “Excited to get to play in the real Death Valley this weekend!" pic.twitter.com/1JuOKpdXFZ
— SEC Country (@seccountry) October 7, 2015