The best quotes around the SEC: “They are like my heroes, my football heroes”
Another SEC season is officially in the books. Alabama took home the conference championship, which leads this week’s best quotes from around the SEC.
- Alabama coach Nick Saban: “Probably of all the teams I coached, I wanted this one to succeed more than any.”
Saban’s Crimson Tide beat Florida, 29-15, to take home the conference title.
- Florida quarterback Treon Harris: “(Alabama) isn’t the best defense we played. They’re not hard to figure out what they are doing.”
- Former UGA coach Mark Richt: “Life is about people, not rings. Rings collect dust”
Richt, now the coach at Miami, said that in his final meeting with UGA players.
- Richt: “We’re not going to test the water. We’re going to dive in.”
This story is definitely worth a read. Richt and his wife are already adjusting to life in Miami.
- Saban on Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart: “He’s as good of an assistant coach and as loyal of an assistant coach as I’ve ever had on my staff.”
The typically stoic Saban got emotional talking about Smart’s expected departure to UGA.
- Florida coach Jim McElwain: “We’ll get worked on this kicking thing, and somebody will get it up over the line far enough that maybe somebody doesn’t block it with their armpit.”
The coach didn’t hold back in his comments about Florida’s kicking situation.
- Florida linebacker Jarrad Davis: “We’re not the Florida Gators that you’ve seen the past two years anymore … so just look out.”
They didn’t get the results they wanted, but the Gators still held their heads high as they reflected on a pleasantly surprising season.
- Alabama running back Derrick Henry: “They are like my heroes, my football heroes,” Henry said about SEC greats Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. “Growing up and hearing their name and just watching what they did is incredible. For my name to be mentioned with theirs, it’s an honor and a blessing.”