The perfect tailgate party won’t be complete without this tasty recipe!
This week’s Texas Pete’s “The Flavor of Football,” features Spicy Cheese Grits with Grilled Sausage and Peppers recipe using Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce.
Ingredients for Grits:
4 C grits, cooked according to directions
¼ C Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce
1½ C butter, cut into Tbsp. size pieces
2 C colby-jack cheese, shredded
1 C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1½ Tbsp. garlic powder
2½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2-3 C chicken stock
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
Chopped chives for garnish
Ingredients for Sausage Mixture:
2 lbs. smoked sausage, grilled
2 bell peppers, cleaned and cut in half
2 white onions, cut in half
Oil, for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place cooked grits in a large, lightly greased, oven-safe baking dish.
- Stir in Texas Pete® Original Hot Sauce and remaining grits ingredients except chives. When adding chicken stock, make sure the grits stay “soupy” in texture, which keeps them from getting too dry while baking.
- Bake for one hour, stirring occasionally. Garnish with chives.
- While grits are baking, grill sausages. Place peppers and onion face down on grill to roast, being careful not to burn.
- When all is done, remove from heat and allow sausage to “rest” for about 10 minutes before cutting. Cut the peppers and onions into strips, then cut the sausage into 1-inch pieces.
- Mix sausage and vegetables in a large bowl. Cover and keep warm until serving.
Place desired amount of grits in center of plate, then spoon sausage mixture over. Top with a dash of Texas Pete® and serve hot.