With three weeks left before Feb. 1’s National Signing Day, SEC schools are chasing some of the biggest names left on the board.
Here are the top seven uncommitted recruits still considering SEC schools:
(All rankings are from 247Sports, unless otherwise noted)
7. Jarez Parks
Hometown: Sebastian, Fla.
Outlook: The race to land Parks is heating up, and he says that his mother’s comfort is a top priority in his decision. He’s heading to Florida for a visit this weekend and will check out Auburn on Jan. 20.
The 247Sports crystal ball has Alabama as the front-runner at 69 percent, with Florida coming in at 31. Florida State and North Carolina are in the mix as well.
6. Jeff Thomas
Hometown: East St. Louis, Ill.
Outlook: Missouri chased Thomas hard earlier in the cycle, but the Tigers seem to have fallen by the wayside. Illinois and Miami (Fla.) are believed to be the co-favorites for the wide receiver, who had a breakout performance in the Under Armour All-America Game. Thomas still has an official visit planned to Tennessee on Jan. 27.
5. Devonta Smith
Hometown: Amite, La.
Outlook: After a strong showing at the Army All-American Bowl, Smith narrowed his choices to Alabama, LSU and Miami. He’s taking a visit to each of those schools and expects to make a decision afterwards.
He was committed to Georgia under then-coach Mark Richt, who now coaches at Miami. The 247Sports crystal ball is unconcerned, giving Alabama a 94 percent chance of signing him. LSU has the other 6 percent.
4. Devon Hunter
Hometown: Chesapeake, Va.
Outlook: It’s usually tough to get Tidewater recruits away from Virginia Tech, but Hunter has four SEC schools in his final six.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ??‼ pic.twitter.com/K1q7GICUOe
— 7️⃣ Hunter (@devonhunter11) January 11, 2017
The Hokies, with a 100 percent crystal ball score on 247Sports, are the leaders for Hunter’s signature, but Florida (with assistant coach Torrian Gray) and Alabama are still chasing him.
Auburn and Ole Miss aren’t waving the white flag yet, either.
3. LaBryan Ray
Hometown: Madison, Ala.
Outlook: 247Sports has him 100 percent going to Alabama, but that doesn’t mean that a few other SEC schools are ready to give up.
Ray has a visit scheduled to Tennessee this weekend, and he is scheduled to visit Alabama (Jan. 20) and Florida (Jan. 27) as well. He’s already been to Ole Miss, and he told AL.com that he’d like to get a mid-week visit to Mississippi State on his calendar.
2. Aubrey Solomon
Hometown: Leesburg, Ga.
Outlook: Solomon lists Georgia among his final four schools, but all signs point to a two-way battle between Michigan and Alabama for his services.
He had an interesting few weeks, serving up an expletive about the Wolverines before later naming them as his top school. Of course, he’s also named Alabama as his first choice in other media settings, so it’s safe to say Solomon hasn’t made up his mind.
1. Marvin Wilson
Outlook: Wilson is No. 3 in the nation, the highest-rated recruit in the 247Sports rankings yet to make a commitment. So of course he is attracting all sorts of attention.
LSU remains the favorite, and the Tigers hope to get a pledge from him when he visits the campus this weekend. Ohio State, which has secured a few big names from the Lone Star State in this cycle, is still pushing hard for his signature as well.
Alabama, Florida State and Texas are also still in play.