The Virginia Cavaliers, who were the best team in college basketball during the college basketball season are in a lot of trouble against No. 16 seed UMBC in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
After heading to halftime tied at halftime, UMBC started the second half on a 17-3 run to take a 38-24 lead and eventually a 45-29 lead at the under 12.
Of course, everyone knows a No. 16 seed has never beaten a No. 1 seed in the men’s side of the NCAA Tournament. It has happened once on the Women’s side. Statistically, we are due for an upset but this would be unheard of. Virginia had not trailed by more than 13 all season and entered the tournament 31-2. Virginia won the ACC by 4 games and won the ACC Tournament as well.
Everyone on Twitter is willing UMBC to try and stun Virginia, who was a popular national title pick, to a a monumental upset.
OH MY GOD 16-1 IS HAPPENING.
— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) March 17, 2018
LIKE THROWING A BEACH BALL INTO THE OCEAN RIGHT NOW
— Robby Kalland (@RKalland) March 17, 2018
They can’t miss. pic.twitter.com/k5xcXU9zjf
— Jason Butt (@JasonHButt) March 17, 2018
— The Ringer (@ringer) March 17, 2018
UMBC is essentially just the Golden State Warriors but without the nerds
— #Mickstape (@ColeyMick) March 17, 2018
University of Murdering Brackets Completely
— Rowan Kavner (@RowanKavner) March 17, 2018
The winner of this game would take on Kansas State in the next round. No. 1 overall seeds are 135-0 in the NCAA Tournament. The other 3 No. 1 seeds all won easily their first round games. The highest seed to lose was a No. 4 seed, with Arizona and Wichita State both losing.
Below you can find a list of other scores in the NCAA Tournament.
- No. 7 Texas A&M 73, No. 10 Providence 69 FINAL| Box score | CBS | Plays North Carolina
- No. 2 Purdue 74 No. 15 CS Fullerton 48 FINAL| Box score | truTV | Plays Butler
- No. 13 Marshall 81, No. 4 Wichita State 75, FINAL | Box score | TNT | Plays West Virginia
- No. 2 Cincinnati 68, No. 15 Georgia State 53 FINAL| LBox score | TBS | Plays Nevada
- No. 2 North Carolina 84, No. 15 Lipscomb 66, FINAL 2nd HALF | Box score | CBS | Plays Texas A&M
- No. 10 Butler 79, No. 7 Arkansas 62 FINAL | iBox score. | truTV |Plays Purdue
- No. 5 West Virginia 82, No. 12 Murray State 68 FINAL| Box score | TNT | Plays Marshall
- No. 7 Nevada 87, No. 10 Texas 83, FINAL | Box score | TBS | Plays Cincinnati
- No. 9 Kansas State 69, No. 8 Creighton 59 FINAL| Live updates | TNT | Plays winner of Virginia-UMBC
- No. 3 Michigan State 82, No. 14 Bucknell 78 FINAL | Live updates | CBS | Plays winner of TCU-Syracuse
- No. 1 Xavier 102, No. 16 Texas Southern 83 FINAL | Live updates | TBS | Plays winner of Missouri-Florida State
- No. 4 Auburn 62, No. 13 College of Charleston 58 FINAL| Live updates. | truTV | Plays winner of Clemson-New Mexico State
- No. 1 Virginia 21, No. 16 UMBC 21 HALFTIME | Live updates | TNT
- No. 11 Syracuse 27 , No. 6 TCU 20, 3:38 1st Half | Live updates | CBS
- No. 8 Missouri 0, No. 9 Florida State 0 20:00 1st HALF| Live updates | TBS
- No. 5 Clemson 21, No. 12 New Mexico State 15 9:08 1st Half | Live updates | truTV