Hats off to SEC baseball, which is in a league of its own in one College World Series category. For a record ninth time, three SEC teams have advanced to Omaha, Neb.
Florida, LSU and Texas A&M are going for the SEC’s 11th CWS title starting Saturday. LSU is seeking its seventh title, which would be second all-time behind Southern California (12). Florida, making its 11th appearance, and Texas A&M are going for their first.
But having the most teams in the CWS doesn’t mean having the best team. The SEC is batting .500 in years when it has had the most teams in the CWS.
The SEC emerged as champions four of eight times it had at least three teams in the CWS — South Carolina in 2011, LSU in 1996 and 1997, and Georgia in 1990.
Four times the SEC came away empty, most recently in 2015. Arkansas, Florida, LSU and Vanderbilt made the eight-team field but Virginia brought home the championship for the ACC.
This year, two ACC teams are in the CWS — Florida State and Louisville. Both are looking for their first titles. In fact, the Seminoles have the most appearances without a championship (22).
Cal State Fullerton (Big West), Oregon State (Pac-12) and TCU (Big 12) round out the field. TCU also is seeking its first title. CSU Fullerton is going for its fifth and Oregon State its third.
Only the Pac-12 has won more CWS titles (17) than the SEC’s 10. Advancing three teams give the SEC the best chance of any conference to win.
But which of those teams has the best chance? Here’s some of what you told us on Facebook:
- Shawn: “Depends if Florida can bring the bats.. Definitely have the pitching and Defense which, as well all know, is what wins championships.. But we need some O!!”
- Craig: “LSU seems to have the hitting. Florida has the pitching but their bats have gone cold…….. make that soggy since they’ve had so many rain delays.”
- Dustin: “Lsu by a landslide. It seems as if I’m not the only one who feels that way either lol. Geaux tigers”
- Tommy: “LSU is on a hot streak. If they eliminate the errors, they might go undefeated at Omaha.”
- TJ: “I see alot of LSU fans thinking it’s them but Florida does have the best pitching staff and if they even get 3 or 4 runs they are hard to beat! I mean they did just shut down the best hitting team in baseball in Wake by far so I think Florida is the team to beat but we’ll see wish the best for all the SEC teams but go Gators”