SEC football is here and the fans came out to party.
Opening week attendance figures across the Southeastern Conference were stout and ranked among the best in college football. Even if the results were not what many teams hoped, the fan support did not wane.
Texas A&M and Tennessee led the way, with more than 100,000 fans at each of their games. Twelve of the 14 conference teams played in front of stadiums that were at least 90 percent full this weekend. Here are a couple other attendance nuggets:
- How loud are 100,000 people? Pretty darn loud, as the 12th Man helped energize the Aggies to an upset win over No. 16 UCLA.
- Four games had attendance listed at or above stadium capacity — Missouri, Georgia, Alabama and Auburn.
- Three SEC teams played at NFL stadiums — the Georgia Dome (Atlanta), AT&T Stadium (Dallas and Lambeau Field (Green Bay).
- Auburn’s struggles as of late have not tempered fan support at all — at least not yet.
- Derek Mason is still struggling to draw fan support in Nashville. Playing on a school night likely didn’t help.
- Big Blue Nation had a mediocre showing at the first game, and losing to Southern Miss will only make fans long for basketball season more.
See the SEC’s full list of attendance figures below:
|Texas A&M vs. UCLA||100,443||Kyle Field||97.8 percent|
|Tennessee vs. App State||100,074||Neyland Stadium||97.7 percent|
|Florida vs. UMass||88,121||Ben Hill Griffin Stadium||99.5 percent|
|Auburn vs. Clemson||87.451||Jordan-Hare Stadium||100 percent|
|Alabama vs. USC||81,359||AT&T Stadium||101.7 percent|
|LSU vs. Wisconsin||77,823||Lambeau Field||96.4 percent|
|Georgia vs. North Carolina||75,405||Georgia Dome||101.6 percent|
|Arkansas vs. Louisiana Tech||69,132||Razorback Stadium||96 percent|
|Ole Miss vs. Florida State||63,042||Camping World Stadium||96.3 percent|
|West Virginia vs. Missouri||60,125||Milan Puskar Stadium||100 percent|
|Kentucky vs. Southern Miss||57,230||Commonwealth Stadium||84.7 percent|
|Mississippi State vs. South Alabama||57,075||Davis Wade Stadium||93.1 percent|
|Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina||30,304||Vanderbilt Stadium||76.2 percent|