The College Football Playoff’s first batch of rankings will be released Tuesday night, giving us a better sense of how the country’s top teams stack up in the eyes of the selection committee.
In the meantime, SEC Country has compiled expert predictions made by multiple media outlets, including CBS Sports, SB Nation, Sporting News, and our own set of projections. As far as we can tell, ESPN and 247Sports haven’t published projections for this week yet, presumably waiting for tonight’s Playoff rankings reveal.
Alabama held onto its top spot over the bye week and Texas A&M is still on track for a New Year’s Six appearance. Other than that, however, there’s a mixed bag of opinions on where the next tier of teams will end up. The Vols have plummeted after losing to South Carolina, leaving Auburn, LSU and Florida as possible SEC New Year’s Six representatives.
Through nine weeks, here’s where SEC teams could be playing during bowl season:
Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC)
- SEC Country: Peach Bowl vs. Washington (CFP)
- CBS: Peach Bowl vs. Ohio State (CFP)
- SB Nation: Peach Bowl vs. Washington (CFP)
- Sporting News: Peach Bowl vs. Washington (CFP)
Let’s be real: The LSU game won’t be very close. This team is too good.
Texas A&M (7-1, 4-1 SEC)
- SEC Country: Sugar Bowl vs. West Virginia (NY6)
- CBS: Sugar Bowl vs. Oklahoma (NY6)
- SB Nation: Sugar Bowl vs. Oklahoma (NY6)
- Sporting News: Cotton Bowl vs. Western Michigan (NY6)
A consensus top-10 team that still has an outside shot at the Playoff.
Auburn (6-2, 4-1 SEC)
- SEC Country: Cotton Bowl vs. Western Michigan (NY6)
- CBS: Citrus Bowl vs. Virginia Tech
- SB Nation: Belk Bowl vs. Virginia Tech
- Sporting News: Citrus Bowl vs. Nebraska
The Tigers have won five straight and have three more winnable games on tap before the Iron Bowl.
LSU (5-2, 3-1 SEC)
- SEC Country: Citrus Bowl vs. Virginia Tech
- CBS: Liberty Bowl vs. TCU
- SB Nation: Cotton Bowl vs. Western Michigan (NY6)
- Sporting News: Outback Bowl vs. Penn State
Beating up on Missouri, Southern Miss and Ole Miss is nice, but now comes the challenge that doomed Les Miles: Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide.
Florida (6-1, 4-1 SEC)
- SEC Country: Outback Bowl vs. Nebraska
- CBS: Outback Bowl vs. Penn State
- SB Nation: Outback Bowl vs. Penn State
- Sporting News: Sugar Bowl vs. Oklahoma (NY6)
While most don’t have UF doing better than the Outback Bowl, the Gators certainly have a legitimate shot at New Year’s Six territory.
Tennessee (5-3, 2-3 SEC)
- SEC Country: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Florida State
- CBS: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. UNC
- SB Nation: Citrus Bowl vs. Nebraska
- Sporting News: Liberty Bowl vs. Kansas State
From a potential Orange Bowl invite to… Bill Snyder and the Liberty Bowl. What are you doing, Butch?
Arkansas (5-3, 1-3 SEC)
- SEC Country: Texas Bowl vs. Oklahoma State
- CBS: Music City Bowl vs. Iowa
- SB Nation: Texas Bowl vs. Baylor
- Sporting News: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. UNC
The Hogs beat Bye Week, and now need their offensive line to hold up against a tough Gators defense this week.
Georgia (4-4, 2-4 SEC)
- SEC Country: Music City Bowl vs. Indiana
- CBS: Belk Bowl vs. Miami
- SB Nation: Liberty Bowl vs. Texas
- Sporting News: Texas Bowl vs. Baylor
Will the Bulldogs get to face their old coach? The way Kirby Smart’s first season has gone, that would be fitting.
Ole Miss (3-5, 1-4 SEC)
- SEC Country: Liberty Bowl vs. TCU
- CBS: Birmingham Bowl vs. Tulsa
- SB Nation: Birmingham Bowl vs. USF
- Sporting News: Music City Bowl vs. Miami
The Rebels are probably the most talented 3-5 team in the country, and they’re exciting enough to do better than the Birmingham Bowl.
Kentucky (5-3, 4-2 SEC)
- SEC Country: Birmingham Bowl vs. Memphis
- CBS: Independence Bowl vs. NC State
- SB Nation: TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Miami
- Sporting News: Birmingham Bowl vs. Houston
The Wildcats have now won five of their last six games, and can boost their stock even further in games against Georgia and Tennessee.
South Carolina (4-4, 2-4 SEC)
- SEC Country: Belk Bowl vs. Miami
- CBS: Texas Bowl vs. Oklahoma State
- SB Nation: Music City Bowl vs. Indiana
- Sporting News: Belk Bowl vs. Wake Forest
All the Gamecocks need to do now is knock off a bad Missouri team and 1-7 Western Carolina. Quarterback Jake Bentley already looks pretty good.