“YOU ARE NUTS”: This week’s 5 best SEC quotes
There was plenty of tension across the SEC this week. Our collection of the conference’s five best quotes reflects several strife-stricken situations:
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema: “To purposely affect playing time by not going to class — you do that to yourself.”
The context: Razorbacks wide receiver JoJo Robinson was suspended after Bielema found out he was not attending classes.
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones: “You can see [our kicker] is very intense.”
The context: Jones defended placekicker Aaron Medley after an 0-for-3 performance against Alabama. The coach said Medley has “not missed one kick in practice.”
- Former Alabama linebacker Adrian Hubbard: “I taught all those dudes the plays and vet tricks and moves, but … he decides to tell me I’m a piece of s—.”
The context: Hubbard went on a Twitter rant against former linebackers coach Lance Thompson, who allegedly sabotaged Hubbard’s NFL career.
- John P. Lopez of CBS Houston: “Some players also believed Murray should have been left at home, rather than face the embarrassment of national television cameras focused on him.”
The context: Lopez broke news that the Texas A&M locker room was upset with the way Aggies’ coaches handled the quarterback situation — specifically, how they treated freshman Kyler Murray.
- Former Mizzou receiver T.J. Moe: “Let me put it simply to anyone considering the idea: YOU ARE NUTS.”
The context: Moe was defending coach Gary Pinkel from social media detractors. The Tigers are off to a horrible start in SEC play, but Pinkel is one of the country’s most respected coaches after turning around Missouri’s program in the early 2000s.