South Carolina coach Frank Martin indefinitely suspended five members of the men’s basketball team prior to the Gamecocks’ NIT opener in March. Now, two of the five players suspended will not return at all.
Freshman forward Eric Cobb and freshman guard Jamall Gregory are no longer with the team, Martin announced Tuesday. Cobb and Gregory were arrested in March and charged with damaging properties with a BB gun.
The other three players suspended — freshman guard TeMarcus Blanton, sophomore guard Marcus Stroman and freshman forward Chris Silva — are still with the program but remain suspended, Martin said.
The news came during Martin’s end-of-season news conference Monday. The coach agreed to a four-year extension last week to remain with the Gamecocks through the 2022 season.
“I couldn’t be happier than the progress that we made, Martin said, as reported by The State‘s David Cloninger. “Here, it is a family, and it’s an unbelievable support across the board. I’m ecstatic because I’ve been given the opportunity to finish what we started four years ago.”
As for the the three remaining suspended players, Martin said he would decide their fates at a later date, and that they are not facing legal action.