Greetings, Gamecocks fans! Thursday marks the start of the weekend for college kids, and you, dear reader, are a college football fan. That basically gives you license to go ahead and start tailgating today. No? You have work, you say? Well, SECCountry.com can’t fix that, but we can sate your thirst for South Carolina news.
Here are a couple of headlines to check out with Game Day less than 48 hours away:
- Missouri will start true freshman backup Drew Lock under center Saturday. Is that such a bad thing? Coach Steve Spurrier isn’t so sure, while oddsmakers in Las Vegas are surprisingly uncertain. One stat that bears reminding: Maty Mauk has thrown 17 interceptions in his last 22 games.
- South Carolina could be down three offensive starters this weekend. That would certainly keep the playing field level with an also-hobbled Missouri squad that has already ruled out tight end Sean Culkin and right tackle Nate Crawford.
South Carolina news from around the Internet
- How can the Gamecocks lock down Lock? David Cloninger of The State discusses the importance of South Carolina utilizing its corners in press coverage more often, a tactic the team has largely shied away from to this point.
- Set a reminder on your phone: 2016 wide receiver Kelvin Harmon, a 3-star recruit from Palmyra, N.J., will announce his commitment decision at 2:30 p.m. ET today, according to The State’s Phil Kornblut. South Carolina is among six programs Harmon is strongly considering, but only the Gamecocks and N.C. State have gotten an official visit from him.
- David Williams has stumbled through an inauspicious start to his sophomore season. Despite getting 14 carries against UCF on Saturday, the tailback only managed 32 yards, and he’s averaging less than 3.3 yards per touch on the year. What did Williams have to say about it?
Best stories from around the SEC
- Court issues ruling on yearly $5,000 payout to college athletes (lawyer speak — but it’s important lawyer speak, darn it)
- Laquon Treadwell, Vernon Hargreaves set for fierce rematch in The Swamp (awesome)
- Young Arkansas fan brought to tears by recent defeat (poor little guy)
- Watch: Tennessee fan beats Florida lineman in arm-wrestling contest (#ThingsPeopleDoInFlorida)
- LSU sports information director sounds off on Leonard Fournette debate (warning: strong take)