Happy Friday, South Carolina fans.
After a long week in Columbia, S.C., the news finally slowed down for the South Carolina football team.
Here are three things to know:
- Todd McShay said South Carolina wide receiver Pharoh Cooper needs to improve his speed to bolster his draft stock. As it stands, the Gamecocks’ leading receiver would likely wind up being a third-round selection.
- South Carolina quarterback commit Brandon McIlwain announced he will forgo the 2016 MLB Draft and enroll early. The 4-star dual-threat quarterback is considered a top-10 baseball prospect, but will instead play football for the Gamecocks.
- South Carolina freshman defensive end Shameik Blackshear was shot and is in “serious condition.” The Bluffton, S.C. native was the victim of an on-campus shooting Wednesday night.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- ESPN.com’s Andrea Adelson wrote that Steve Spurrier endorsed Will Muschamp as the new Gamecocks coach. The Head Ball Coach praised Muschamp’s early success on the recruiting trail.
- The State’s Phil Kornblut wrote that South Carolina commit JaCorey Morris is still waiting to hear from the new South Carolina coaching staff. Morris, who chose the Gamecocks over Ole Miss and Southern Miss, said he remained hopeful he’d hear from Muschamp.