3 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Greetings, Gamecocks fans, on a fine Friday morning. Have you already made your plans for a weekend getaway? If not, you should feel the road calling you to Columbia — Missouri, that is — where temperatures will top out at 67 degrees under sunny skies on Saturday. Load up the car, put your feet on the dashboard and, most importantly, catch up on all the latest South Carolina news while someone else drives.
Here’s what you should read:
- It’s Throwback Thursday. SECCountry.com naturally revisited last year’s shocking loss to Missouri at Williams-Brice Stadium, after which coach Steve Spurrier admitted one of his biggest coaching mistakes of the last few years.
- Avenging last year’s defeat may be tough. Spurrier updated the injury status of three starters and, suffice it to say, the South Carolina offense will take Faurot Field at less than full strength.
- The Gamecocks picked up their 16th commitment for the class of 2016 Thursday afternoon. Wide receiver Kelvin Harmon comes all the way from Palmyra, N.J.
South Carolina news from around the Internet
- Ben Fredrickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch argues that Missouri quarterback Maty Mauk’s suspension should make the starting job Drew Lock’s to lose this weekend.
- For those into numbers and in-depth analysis, Bill Connelly has an excellent breakdown over at SB Nation of what Lock and the Mizzou offense need to succeed. You just root for the opposite to happen, Gamecock fans.
- Speaking of Lock, linebacker coach Kirk Botkin and others discuss how they’ll prepare to stop the Tigers — and if Mauk’s absence affects those efforts — in this piece from The Greenville News’ Willie Smith.
Best stories from around the SEC
- Did Nick Saban help NFL prospects cheat on the Wonderlic test? (imagine, a coach cheating)
- Fan mocks Tennessee’s blown leads with hilarious parody video (some duality on Rocky Top these days)
- Which SEC team is on upset alert this weekend? (no hints for you)
- Florida invites rapper Lil B to the Swamp (more like The Based Swamp)
Palmyra's Kelvin Harmon after his decision to attend South Carolina pic.twitter.com/TCwr2EU8vv
— Philip Anastasia (@PhilAnastasia) October 1, 2015