Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans. Gamecocks players and interim coach Shawn Elliott met with the media Tuesday for their weekly press conference and dove right into Tennessee week.
Here are four things to know:
- Shawn Elliott offers praise to Tennessee special teams and offense. Kick returner Evan Berry, quarterback Joshua Dobbs and running back Jalen Hurd were among the Vols player to catch Elliott’s eyes.
- Shawn Elliott on OT Brandon Shell: “He’s been a much more physical football player.” Shell, who’s in his fifth season with the Gamecocks, has rebounded nicely after a poor game four weeks ago.
- Brandon Wilds on “Rocky Top”: “Some people say it’s aggravating.” Others, including Elliott, are actually quite fond of Tennessee’s fight song.
- South Carolina players support Shawn Elliott’s up-tempo attitude. Players suggested energy was lacking under the Head Ball Coach.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- The State’s Josh Kendall writes that a 5-7 record might be good enough to get South Carolina in a bowl game. Usually, six wins are required to be bowl eligible, so in the case of the Gamecocks, a waiver would have to be issued.
- Sporting News’ Jeff Owens writes that South Carolina must swing big and land another big-name coach to replace Steve Spurrier. The options include finding a proven coach, promote an assistant or select the a hot candidate from the mid-major level.