4 things every South Carolina fan needs to know today
Happy Wednesday, South Carolina fans. Gamecocks players and coaches met with the media Tuesday for their weekly press conference as they prepare for this weekend’s matchup with Florida.
Here are four things to know:
- Interim coach Shawn Elliott says quarterback Connor Mitch is “going to lead this football team again.” Mitch hasn’t played since the Kentucky game back in early September.
- Elliott on playing spoiler: “We don’t play that way.” The Gamecocks host the Gators and archrival Clemson two of the next three weeks.
- South Carolina’s Jonathan Walton makes the switch to offense: “My teammates call me a traitor.” Walton is a reserve linebacker that is getting an opportunity at fullback.
- Elliott on returning home: “These Carolina fans know how to do it right.” The Gamecocks haven’t played at Williams-Brice Stadium since Oct. 17.
Other South Carolina news from around the Internet
- The State’s Ben Breiner writes that South Carolina has a quick hook at safety. D.J. Smith started the game for the Gamecocks, but was benched soon after Tennessee’s second scoring drive in favor of Jordan Diggs.
- The Associated Press’ Pete Iacobelli writes Elliott is looking to turn things around quickly. After two close losses on the road to Texas A&M and Tennessee, Elliott’s Gamecocks need a resume-worthy win.